r-word.org

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Keep your foot out of the toilet because you could break it!

We were getting the kids ready for bed Friday night and Pat and I were in Stephen's room when we heard Olivia crying. We ran into the bathroom and she was crying hysterically and standing with one foot up like a pink flamingo. Her left foot and pant leg cuff was soaking wet. We asked her what happened and she said her foot went in the toilet when she was spinning around on the step stool in front of the toilet. Of course the lid was open.

I was laughing so hard I was crying. I wasn't laughing at my daughter's pain. I just could not get over how the heck she got her foot in the toilet! My husband was trying really hard not to laugh. Once I got her pants off and got a good look at her foot and she kept crying, I wasn't laughing. She had swelling and the area was turning purple. She can be quite dramatic and we don't always know how much she is exaggerating things. So to see if she was really hurt I had her take a shower and see if once she was focused on something else she would start feeling better. Well, she cried in the shower. She got out and got into jammies and we put ice on her foot for ten minutes.

Pat and I just couldn't shake the feeling that it might be broken. So I decided to take her to the ER. Let me premise this little journey to the ER with two facts, I am sick and have a back injury from a car accident in November 2008. I had to carry her everywhere and even had to hold her over the toilet when she went pee at the hospital.

We waited two and a half hours to get a 5 minute examination in the hallway from a doctor that poked her foot and said he would get x-rays and I told him she already had one! We waited another half an hour for him to come back and tell us it wasn't broken and that they would put an ice pack on it and give her some Motrin. We got the ice pack after about 15 minutes and then finally got the Motrin three and a half hours after we had first stepped foot in the hospital. Pun intended ; ) My back was screaming with pain from carrying her around and sitting in those horrible chairs.

Of course, as any parent knows, if I hadn't taken her to the ER her foot would have been broken. She woke up Saturday morning and ran around all day like nothing happened. So tell your kids to keep their feet out of the toilet or just make sure the lids are always down!

By the way, I just looked at the form they gave me at the hospital and it says she hurt her right foot. Gee, thank God she didn't need surgery or they would have operated on the wrong foot. Wonder why I hate doctors and hospitals!!!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh, that sounds like a horrible night! I am glad Olivia is ok though and I hope your back is feeling better. :)