r-word.org

Monday, August 3, 2009

Mommy's alone time=sleep deprivation

I haven't felt this sleep deprived since my kids were babies. I feel like my eyes are filled with sand (thanks Sandman) and my limbs are full of lead. I love having time with Olivia during the summer while Stephen is in school. However, I require a larger than normal amount of "alone time", maybe that's just me or I have undiagnosed Asperger's, who knows. I just need to be alone, a lot. Well, with Olivia home all day and Stephen on one of his go to bed late cycles (got to get me some Melatonin) I have been staying up until 1 a.m and getting up at 6 a.m. That may be an easy feat for a twenty-something college girl but I am a going on 4o busy mommy.

I'd love to take a nap but I don't do naps unless my body literally makes me pass out. I have too much to do EVERYDAY and naps aren't an option. I usually only take a cat nap on the recliner couch at night or on the weekend when Pat is here and I know that if I fall asleep I won't wake up to find a disaster or someone bleeding from acrobatics or an accident.

My daughter also can't understand why I won't play with her all day. She has no clue how hard I work as a homemaker. She sees me do everything I do but her little 7 year-old brain doesn't grasp that without me doing all the things I am responsible for that we would have nothing to eat, nothing clean to wear, no money, be sicker than we already are and live in a dump.

Are any of you stay at home moms in the same state of sleep deprivation? How do you get your alone time when the kids are home during the summer?

1 comment:

Betsy Brock said...

Well, there definitely isn't much alone time during the summer! Our boys go to bed about 9-9:30 and I stay up until about 11:30 just to relish a couple of hours without them. I do require more than 5 hours of sleep, though....hope you get to bed earlier!